Saturday 11 January 2020

Iskren Orelik Glokta

Half-Elf, Order Cleric
Orzhov Representative

I was born different. They say it is impossible, but I remember the day I was born. The day WE were born. My brother preceded me by a few minutes. I was born a loser. That marked my life forever.

Mother was a Ministrant of the Church of Deals, father was just an indebted elf she had used to give her an heir. That elf had done well, too well, and gave her two. Once he had paid his due by performing his task in a way that satisfied Mother, he was dismissed. I never met him.

Hierarchy being so important to her, she favoured my brother above me. I grew up in a constant state of jealousy. Yet I was too proud to beg for Mother's love, and I let my envy fester into hate. And a growing sense that the world OWED me.

Somehow Destiny was indebted to me.

I decided to collect my first debt when I was 5. All it took was a fake smile, then a slight push, as my brother tumbled down the marble stairs. That was the day I smelled blood for the first time.

I had made sure to be alone with him, while we listened to the spirits singing. But were we really alone? Orzhov ghosts surrounded us. Witnessed us. Approved.

That is when I felt the Call. To serve the Obzedat. My true family. Through them, I would be admired, respected... FEARED. I would collect what was owed to me.

Something changed in mother. She had lost her precious heir, and somehow she would not recognize that I was there, to take his place. To be HIM. there are days I feel like him. Like his thought and my thoughts are one. Like we were bound in death, more than we were in life.

She could not see this, separated herself even more from me. I turned to my studies, and found a new mother and a new father, all in one beautiful, dreadful creature.

Athra, Angel of Despair, took me under her dark wings, and thought me the secrets of White and Black magic. I owe her much, and debts are never meant to be forgiven.

And then I was ready, to make my way in the Tenth District, offer my service to the Oligarchs. But I was the shunned child of a fatherless family. Their pure bloodlines rejected me, ignored me. Even worse, the Enezesku's patriarch humiliated me!

"You owe your success to the death of a little boy, Izkren. You owe a debt you can never repay"

But I will show him. Him, and his whole family. I shall climb the ranks of the Syndicate, and I shall soar on dark wings, same as Athra. And one day I will collect this last debt from the Enezesku.

In the meanwhile, I must bide my time, gather allies. Collect debts, favours, bind pawns to me. The experience I gathered in the Izzet quarter was proficuous. Goblins are desplicable filthy critters, but very clever. Surely something I can use in my quest to lead my own cartel.

Wealth, admiration respect, I shall have it all. And if I have to step on the blood of those that stand in my way, so be it. It shall be the mortar that keeps together the monument to my own Glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment